[ANNOUNCE] TONITE= Mail merge, Mail server. This Week's Events.

SLUUG Announcement List announce at sluug.org
Wed Aug 10 13:01:06 CDT 2011

Editor's pick's:

TONITE = Wednesday

         SLUUG's general mtng.

              Libra Office's  "mail merge"   by Stan Riechardt.

              SLUUG's rebuilding of the mail server  by Jeff Muse.
                      A technical tour de force...or how to get alot
                      of work done!!   ;-)

              And lots of good technical conversations.

Thurs =
         Oracle UG
         Java UG

NEXT Monday & Tues... UMSL's Intro to UNIX class

                             Wednesday,  Aug 10

6:30pm
           SLUUG St. Louis Unix Users Group

WhenWed, August 10, 6:30pm . 9:00pm
Where11885 Lackland Road, Maryland Heights, MO 63146 (map)
Description

http://www.sluug.org/

VENUE: Graybar Electric Co, Inc.

THIS MONTH= The basics portion will be on LibreOffice Mail Merge
Processing by Stan Reichardt

Informal demonstration of the Mail Merge
Wizard process to create multiple documents from a simple database.
To begin, we export column and row data from a spreadsheet into a
*.CVS file.  That file is then used to quickly build a LibreOffice
database.  Using that database, we can filter selected records and
extract specific data fields into a document or email format.  Output
can be globally modified, or individual outputs can be customized before
being printed or emailed.

      Our main event will be Migration of Services
to AMBER (tentative pending completion of work) by SLUUG Volunteers
When finished we will have moved our main SLUUG
web site to much larger hardware on AMBER.  A warning notice went out
and instructions about password changes were sent to subscribers.  During
several hours downtime we rewnewed a domain, synced mailboxes, propagated
DNS records, and much more.  We have migrated most of our affiliate web
sites from our BUD server to our AMBER server.  Migration of SLUUG e-mail
and mailing lists is mostly complete. Plans for re-purposing our BUD
server are in view.

EVERY MONTH= Your forum for exchanging information
about open standards, open systems, open source, products, services
and architectures.

The St. Louis Unix Users Group (SLUUG) general meetings are usually on
the second Wednesday of each month. We start the general meeting with
a basic session; which may include either simple tutorials, displays
of newly discovered web sites, command line wonders, demonstrations
of useful applications, amazing graphical packages, major resolution
of long standing anomalies, blinking lights, or quantum shifts in both
time and space.  1Then we will have our usual quick welcome, introduction,
administrative announcements, and a Questions and Answers Period.  After
all that, we take a break before our main event.

                              Thursday, August 11

8:15am
         STL Tech-Security Conference
WhenThu, August 11, 8:15am . 3:45pm
Where16625 Swingley Ridge Road Chesterfield, MO. 63017 (map)

DescriptionVENUE: Doubletree Hotel & Conference Center See
http://www.dataconnectors.com/events/2011/08StLouis/agenda.asp Overview
The St. Louis Tech-Security Conference features 25-30 vendor exhibits and
several industry experts discussing current tech-security issues such as
email security, VoIP, LAN security, wireless security, USB drives security
& more. There will be lots of give a ways and prizes such as iPods, $25,
$50 and $100 gift cards, as well as cash prizes and lots more! This
unique conference format will provide educational speaker sessions as
well as tremendous networking opportunities. You'll come away with advice
and knowledge you can start applying to your environment immediately. To
register for this conference, click on the link in the left column. Your
registration will include your breakfast, lunch, conference materials
and entrance into the conference sessions and exhibit area. Scroll down
to view the full conference agenda.  more details»  copy to my calendar

10:00am
         WCORCC-WE - MS Word SIG Excel SIG
WhenThu, August 11, 10am . 3pm
WhereDaniel Boone Branch Library (map)
DescriptionWest County Older Residents Computer Club http://wcorcc.tripod.com/ MS Word SIG - 10:00 AM MS Excel SIG - 1:00 PM
more details»  copy to my calendar

11:00am
 Hiatus - SCORCC-F Financial SIG

12:00pm
 Hiatus- Gateway/400 Grp

1:00pm
 SLOUG - St. Louis Oracle Users Group
WhenThu, August 11, 1pm . 4pm
Where424 South Woodsmill Road, Suite 200 Chesterfield , MO 63017 (map)
Dan Glasscock from Oracle will be doing a presentation on RAC tuning.
There will be ample time after the presentation for questions.
At Oracle's office on Woodsmill.
more details»  copy to my calendar

6:30pm
 stlJUG - StL Java Users Grp
WhenThu, August 11, 6:30pm . 8:00pm
WhereCityPlace One Auditorium, One City Place, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 (map)
Description http://www.ociweb.com/javasig/ n the Java build space,
first there was Ant, which provided a reliable way to build without
an IDE. Then there was Maven, which provided standardization in build
life cycles and dependency management. Now... Enter the Gradle, which
provides convention over configuration approach to the build process and
an approach at building that isn't based on XML. This session assumes
no familiarly with Gradle as it introduces this new approach at building
projects. This session will look at multi-language or polyglot projects,
as well as integration to Ant and Maven. It will conclude with building
custom plugins for the Gradle build process.

About the Presenter: Ken
has been a practitioner and instructor of RUP since the late 1990s, and
an extreme programmer and coach since the middle 2000s.  more details»
copy to my calendar

                              Friday, August 12

All day
 Perseids Meteor Shower
WhenAug 12 . 13, 2011
DescriptionSee http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2011.html
The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers to observe, producing up
to 60 meteors per hour at their peak. The shower's peak usually occurs
on August 13 & 14, but you may be able to see some meteors any time
from July 23 - August 22. The radiant point for this shower will be in
the constellation Perseus. The full moon will definitely be a problem
this year, hiding the fainter meteors with its glare. But with up to
60 meteors per hour possible, it could still be a great show. Find a
location far from city lights and look to the northeast after midnight.
more details»  copy to my calendar

10:00am
 Hiatus SCORCC-DTP Desktop Publishing

                              Saturday, August 13

All day
            Perseids Meteor Shower

WhenAug 12 . 13, 2011
DescriptionSee http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2011.html

The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers to observe, producing up
to 60 meteors per hour at their peak. The shower's peak usually occurs
on August 13 & 14, but you may be able to see some meteors any time
from July 23 - August 22. The radiant point for this shower will be in
the constellation Perseus. The full moon will definitely be a problem
this year, hiding the fainter meteors with its glare. But with up to
60 meteors per hour possible, it could still be a great show. Find a
location far from city lights and look to the northeast after midnight.
more details»  copy to my calendar

8:30am
 Hiatus - T3 Techies Teaching Techies

12:00pm
 DBUG - Data Bytes Users Group
WhenSat, August 13, 12pm . 3pm
Where12863 Willowyk Drive, St. Louis, MO (map)
DescriptionSee http://dbug-stl.tripod.com/Home.htm

Thornhill Branch Library, 12863 Willowyk Drive (off Fee Fee Road),
St. Louis, MO
more details»  copy to my calendar

6:00pm
 ASEMO - Astronomical Society of Eastern Missouri
WhenSat, August 13, 6pm . 10pm
DescriptionSee http://asemonline.org/ for current information.

* Regular General Meeting*

                              Sunday, August 14

All day
 1945 VJ Day

                             And coming NEXT week...

                              Monday, August 15
1:00pm
 SCORCC-GM - General Meeting

                              Tuesday, August 16
8:30am
 UMSL - Introduction to UNIX - Day 1
1:00pm
 Hiatus - SCORCC-CM - Computer Media SIG
2:00pm
 STLISSA - Information Systems Security Association
4:00pm
 stlHDI - Help Desk Institute -date & time CHANGE
6:00pm
 HIATUS - STLOSUG - St. Louis OpenSolaris Users Group
6:30pm
 StL Hadoop Users Grp
7:00pm
 Astronomy Digital Imaging SIG
                              Wednesday, August 17
8:30am
 UMSL - Introduction to UNIX - Day 2
9:00am
 Thornhill Computer Club
11:30am
 SNUG - StL Novell Users Grp &  SuSE Linux Lunch
2:00pm
 STLISACA - StL InfoSys Audit & Ctrl Assn
6:00pm
 GCC - Gateway Computer Club
6:30pm
 stlPM - StL Perl Mongers Grp
                                Thursday, August 18
7:30am
 IT Advancement Council
1:00pm
 WCORCC - General Mtg
1:30pm
 St. Louis GIS Users Group
6:30pm
 HIATUS - stlLUG -Linux Users' Grp
6:30pm
 STLJS - Saint Louis JavaScript Meetup
7:00pm
 PHP - St Louis PHP Users Group
7:30pm
 SLRCFA - St. Louis Radio Control Flying Association
7:30pm
 STL Wordpress Users Group
                               Friday, August 19
All day
 33rd Annual YMCA Bookfair
All day
 Discount Deadline - StrangeLoop
1:00pm
 NCORCC - North County Older Residents Computer Club
7:00pm
 SLARC - St. Louis Area Radio Club
7:30pm
 SLAS - St. Louis Astronomical Society
                               Saturday, August 20
All day
 33rd Annual YMCA Bookfair
10:00am
 ROBOMO - StL Area Robotics Grp
4:00pm
 SILUG-ME - Southern Illinois Linux Users Group
                               Sunday, August 21
All day
 33rd Annual YMCA Bookfair

NOTICE:

Everything is our "best guess".  Check the details, last minute changes, etc.
on the appropriate websites.
Anything that you have interpreted as false, mean, insulting, or libelous is
an obvious unintended typo or accidental misstatement or corrupted transmission.

Any suggestions of new items, changes, etc. please send to Editor at sluug.org.