[ANNOUNCE] This Week's Technical Events

SLUUG Announcement List announce at sluug.org
Wed Jun 22 16:22:36 CDT 2011

Editor's Picks =

Thurs.  St. Charles LUG

                          How to do Animation!

	                  Free "Art of Illusion" sftwr.

Wed.    StL Hi Performance Computing
        Vim Geeks

Sat.    GAMP Mac/iPad/iPhone Programmers

Always check
http://www.SLUUG.org/
for last minute changes to events.

                          And the details...

                          Wednesday, June 22

4:30pm
       STLHPC - StL High Performance Computing

                          Big Data Meets High Performance Computing

 WhenWed, June 22, 4:30pm . 9:00pm
 Where1 Savvis Parkway, Town and Country, MO 63017
 DescriptionVENUE: Savvis Corporate Headquarters
 See http://stlhpc.net/

TOPIC: Big Data Meets High Performance Computing Registration required -
No Fee. Join us in St. Louis at this free STLhpc.net event on June 22
to learn how High Performance Computing (HPC) is being leveraged to
transform unprecedented amounts of data from various industries into
business insights and discoveries. Come hear perspectives on Big Data
and its effect on the data center from top executives from two of the
largest storage companies, Hitachi Data Systems and EMC/Isilon, in the
same room. Learn about a specific case of how HPC solutions created here
in St. Louis are being used to analyze vast quantities of financial
market data. Further, find out how you can connect with local groups,
such as the St. Louis High Performance Computing group, STLhpc.net,
and the St. Louis Storage Networking User Group. Featuring: * Hubert
Yoshida . VP and Chief Technology Officer for Hitachi Data Systems *
Rob Peglar . CTO Americas at Isilon Systems, a division of EMC * Jeff
Wells . Vice President of Product Marketing at Exegy and Co-chair of
the Financial Information Forum.s Market Data Capacity Working Group *
David Schuehler . Distinguished Engineer and Vice President of Quality
and Performance Engineering at Exegy * Gary Stiehr . Founder, stlhpc.net;
Information Systems Group Leader at The Genome Institute at Washington
University in Saint Louis

6:30pm
           VIM Geeks

  WhenWed, June 22, 6:30pm . 8:30pm
  Where3720 Green Mount Crossing Drive Shiloh, IL 62269 (map)
  DescriptionVENUE: Comptuer Room

  http://www.vimgeeks.org

  This time, we'll have not just one but two presentations: * Steven
  Pritchard will dispel the mysteries of Vim syntax files. * Bill Odom
  (a.k.a., yours truly) will explain the nifty stuff you can do with
  registers. And, of course, there'll be the always-interesting Q&A
  and spur-of-the-moment demos and stimulating digressions -- you know,
  the usual good time.

7:00pm
            StL ALT.NET

   WhenWed, June 22, 7pm . 9pm
   Where999 Executive Parkway Saint Louis, MO

   DescriptionThis meeting: Jeff Sigmon will be talking about his Clojure
   project, "Hacker News Radio", and how he gives an electronic voice to
   Hacker News trolls everywhere! Nicholas Cloud will be talking about
   the DLR, and how dynamic programming can change your life! There may
   be Python involved too. Don't forget, if you want to be eligible for
   the following raffle prices you must be a member of the meetup group
   and you must be present! * 1 L2SProf license (Hibernating Rhinos) *
   1 Typemock license * 4 St. Louis Day of .NET tickets Also, members
   who choose to give a 5-10 minute lightning talk on a technical topic
   of their choice will have their name entered into the raffle a second
   time. Please notify me at least two weeks in advance if you plan to
   give a lightning talk so I can adjust the schedule accordingly.

   Every meeting: Venue: Professional Employment Group

   http://www.meetup.com/stlaltdotnet/ Developers should not align
   themselves with platforms and languages, but with principles and
   ideas. An "alternative" view of the Microsoft development universe--a
   view that challenged the "Microsoft-only" approach to software
   development. He distilled his thoughts into four key developer
   characteristics which form the basis of the ALT.NET philosophy:
   1. You're the type of developer who uses what works while keeping an
   eye out for a better way. 2. You reach outside the mainstream to adopt
   the best of any community: Open Source, Agile, Java, Ruby, etc. ,,,

7:00pm
    Hiatus - TAP - Science on Tap

                           Thursday, June 23

8:30am
          STLCRMUG - St. Louis CRM Users Group

     WhenThu, June 23, 8:30am . 11:30am
     Where3 City Place Drive, Creve Coeur, MO 63131
     http://www.stlcrmug.org/
     Microsoft Offices Meets every other month.

10:00am
          WCORCC - Technical SIG Multimedia SIG

      WhenThu, June 23, 10am . 3pm
      WhereDaniel Boone Branch Library
      http://wcorcc.tripod.com/

      Technical Forum SIG - 10:00 AM
      Multimedia SIG - 1:00 PM

5:30pm
          STL-AITP - Association of Information Technology Professionals

       WhenThu, June 23, 5:30pm . 8:30pm
       Where7750 Carondelet Avenue St. Louis, MO 63105
       http://www.stlouisaitp.org/

       We have monthly dinner meetings in St. Louis! These meeting are
       usually held the 4th Thursday of each month at the Crown Plaza in
       Clayton. These meetings features a social hour to network with
       our fellow IT professionals, dinner, and a speaker who presents
       a topic relevant to information technology.

6:00pm
           Hiatus- stlMD - StL Mobile Dev

6:00pm
	   NSBracket-STL iOS Developer Group

	 WhenThu, June 23, 6pm . 7pm
	 Where1640 S. Lindbergh Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63131 (map)
	 VENUE: St. Louis County Library Headquarters (40 & Lindbergh).

	 http://onelinecodechange.wordpress.com/

	 We are a group of software developers dedicated to diving deep
	 into Apple.s iOS platform. Our goal is take our current software
	 engineering skills (Java, ObjC, C++) and learn how to apply
	 those skills to the iOS platform. First Meeting Agenda Topic:
	 Embracing the Square Brackets . Objective-C for iOS Development,
	 presented by Brian Coyner

6:30pm
              StC LUG - St. Charles Linux Users Group

                         Basic 3-D Graphics and Animation

	  WhenThu, June 23, 6:30pm . 9:30pm
	  Where200 Ft Zumwalt Square, O'Fallon, MO 63366 (map)

	  See http://stclug.sluug.org

	  Meet at JJ's Restaurant, off of Hwy I-70, Exit 217, Hwy K South,
	  take right at first light signal.

	  Topic: Basic 3-D Graphics and Animation (In Multiple Parts) -
	  23 June 2011 by Ed Wehner Antimating 3-D Objects (Session 3)

	  We will conclude our 3 part 3D workshop with an overview of
	  3D animation with a hands on example of making and animating
	  your own character.  In addition to Art of Illusion, we will
	  discuss other 3d tools including, Blender, Poser, DAZ Studio
	  and others.  We will also show a demonstration of the use of
	  motion capture data to create realistic animations.  For those
	  who have been following the series or completed the tutorials
	  on your own, bring in a sample of one of your 3D objects.  We
	  will have prizes for the most artistic model, most realistic
	  model and best overall scene.

                             Friday, June 24

1:00pm
	WRCC - WR Computer Club

	   WhenFri, June 24, 1pm . 3pm Where4444 Weber Road, St. Louis,
	   MO 63123
	   VENUE: Weber Road Branch Library TOPIC: Social Networking

1:00pm
	SCORCC-I - Internet SIG

	    WhenFri, June 24, 1pm . 2pm
	    WhereTesson Ferry Library Branch,
	    9920 Lin-Ferry Road, St. Louis, MO 63123

	    http://www.scorcc.org/

7:30pm
         SLSRC - St. Louis & Suburban Radio Club

             WhenFri, June 24, 7:30pm . 9:00pm
	     Where3015 N Ballas Rd, St. Louis, MO
	     Venue: Nursing Institute building,
	     Missouri Baptist Hospital Complex

	     http://www.slsrc.org/

                            Saturday, June 25

2:00pm
         GAMP - Gateway Area Mac Programers

              WhenSat, June 25, 2pm . 4pm
	      Where120 S Kirkwood Rd, St Louis, MO 63122
	      Kaldi's Coffee House

	      http://www.gamprog.org/

	      Usually last Saturday of month

	      St. Louis CocoaHeads

	      Monthly meeting for Mac & iPhone Programming.

2:00pm
         MC-Clinic - Windows Live Essentials

	       WhenSat, June 25, 2pm . 3pm
	       Where87 Brentwood Promenade Ct., Brentwood, MO 63144

	       Micro Center In Store Clinic FREE
	       in-store computer technology clinic, see
	       http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/sign_up.html
	       to sign up.

	       Also repeated on Sunday!

                           Sunday, June 26

2:00pm
         MC-Clinic - Windows Live Essentials

		WhenSun, June 26, 2pm . 3pm
		Where87 Brentwood Promenade Ct., Brentwood, MO 63144

		Micro Center In Store Clinic FREE
		in-store computer technology clinic, see
		http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/sign_up.html
		to sign up.

                Repeat of yesterday!

                            And,  coming next week...

Monday, June 27
12:00pm
 TT - Tech Talks
 5:30pm
  STLDOTNET - St. Louis .NET User Group
  6:00pm
   stlDNNug - StL DotNetNuke User Grp
Tuesday, June 28
   6:30pm
    HZWLUG - Hazelwood Linux Users Group
    7:00pm
     GAMUG-SP
     7:00pm
      Gateway Older Adults PC Club
      7:00pm
       LUCI General
Wednesday, June 29
       11:00am
        SCORCC-W Windows SIG
Thursday, June 30
	8:00am
	 STL Academy of Science
	 10:00am
	  WCORCC Workshop
Friday, July 1
	  12:00pm
	   NCORCC
	   5:00pm
	    STL 2600 Meeting
Saturday, July 2
	    8:30am
	     T3 Techies Teaching Techies
Sunday, July 3
	     1:00pm
	      CWElug Central West End Linux Users' Group
Monday, July 4
	      All day
	       HOLIDAY - Independence Day
	       7:00pm
	        stlGD - StL Game Developers

Usual caveats:
Anything that you percieve as an insult, slander, false, or
disrespectful is an unintended typo.  Everything is our best guess or
flippant opinion and not intended as a statement of fact.

Any additional or new info can/should be sent to editor at sluug.org.