[ANNOUNCE] This Week's Events.

SLUUG Announcement List announce at sluug.org
Tue Mar 22 09:28:21 CDT 2011

>From gary at sluug.org Tue Mar 22 05:41:17 2011
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:41:17 -0500
To: announce at sluug.org
Subject: This Week's  Events
From: gary at sluug.org (Gary Meyer)

Editor's picks =

Tues.  Hazelwood LUG   Help beginners
                       or just remind yourself how this stuff works!

Wed.   Vim Geeks       The Accentuate.us plugin

Thurs. St. Charles lug   Hiatus!

Thurs. StL Mobile Dev    MS Windows Phone 7.   And also...
                         Developing on Android & iOS in Lua with Corona.

Fri.   Document Freedom Day

Sat.   OlMo lug         The Linux OS in the TiVO DVR.

Sun.   Clinic on  Backup.

Details of all meetings show below.

WRT the St. Charles lug...  Noah has scheduling conflicts thru May.
We are debating moving the St. Charles lug mtng to a different nite.
Make your view known!

And now, the details...

                              Tuesday, March 22

All day
          SIMS-  STL Society for Information Management

 Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011
 http://www.simnet.org/?page=STL_Welcome

 The Speed of Life - Speaker Brian Shul

6:30pm
          HZWLUG    - Hazelwood Linux Users Group

  Tue, March 22, 6:30pm . 9:00pm
  915 Utz Ln, Hazelwood, MO 63042 (map)

  http://hzwlug.sluug.org/

  VENUE: Prarie Commons Branch Library.

  A Linux Users Group for beginners, the newcomers to Linux.

7:00pm

         GAMUG-SP     -Macintosh      -Project Management pt. 3

   Tue, March 22, 7pm . 9pm
   530 East Lockwood Avenue Webster Groves, MO 63119-3217

   Gateway Mac Users' Grp   Support Pros
   http://www.supportpros.org/

   This is the final month of our three month look at how we all handle project management.  We've talked about how we go about managing projects, we've spoken about the applications we use and now we will go in depth about some of those applications.  Several of us at the February meeting took on the challenge of using specific applications for 30 days.  During the March meeting, we'll present and talk about those experiences.  If you haven't attended the previous meetings, it's no problem!  We would look forward to hearing about your ideas and experiences!

7:00pm

            Gateway Older Adults PC Club

    Tue, March 22, 7pm . 9pm
    12863 Willowyck Dr, St. Louis, MO 63146
    Gateway Older Adults Personal Computer Club

    Thornhill Branch Library

7:00pm
             LUCI General

   Tue, March 22, 7pm . 9pm
   1011 E. Ash Street, Springfield, IL

7:00pm
          MWG - MidWest Geeks

   Tue, March 22, 7pm . 9pm
   1909 S Brentwood Blvd Brentwood, MO 63144
   Venue: st. louis bread company - brentwood

   http://www.meetup.com/mwgeeks/

                               Wednesday, March 23

6:30pm
           vim geeks
                            -  "the Accentuate.us  Vim plugin".

   wed, march 23, 6:30pm . 8:30pm
   3720 green mount crossing drive shiloh, il 62269
   VENUE: Comptuer Room

   http://www.vimgeeks.org

   This month, "the Accentuate.us Vim plugin".

7:00pm
           TAP - Science on Tap -Medical Plants

   Wed, March 23, 7:00pm . 8:30pm
   7260 Southwest Ave., Maplewood, MO 63143 (map)
   Crown Room at the Schlafly Bottleworks

   http://scienceontap.wustl.edu/

   This is a free event, but seating is limited and there
   are no reservations. We meet on the last Wednesday of the
   month during the academic year, usually from 7:00 - 8:30 PM..

	This month=

	For much of human history, plant extracts have been used as ingredients in potions and poisons.
	In the eastern Mediterranean, use of the latex of the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) can be traced back at least to 1400 to 1200 B.C.  The Sarpagandha root (Rauwolfia serpentina) has been used in India since approximately 1000 B.C.  Ancient people used medicinal plant extracts as purgatives, antitussives, sedatives, and treatments for a wide range of ailments, including snakebite, fever and insanity.
	As the use of medicinal plants spread westward across Arabia and Europe, new infusions and decoctions played a role in famous events.  During his execution in 399 B.C., the philosopher Socrates drank an extract of coniine-containing hemlock (Conium maculatum).  In the last century B.C., Queen Cleopatra used extracts of henbane (Hyoscyamus), which contains atropine, to dilate her pupils and appear more alluring to her male political rivals.  Today, 25% of our medicines still come either directly from plants or are modified plant chemicals and only 10% of plant species have been studied with respect to their chemical constituents!

                               Thursday, March 24

8:30am
             STLCRMUG    - St. Louis CRM Users Group

   Thu, March 24, 8:30am . 11:30am
   3 City Place Drive, Creve Coeur, MO 63131
   http://www.stlcrmug.org/
   Microsoft Offices Meets every other month.

10:00am
             WCORCC       - Technical SIG Multimedia SIG

   Thu, March 24, 10am . 3pm
   Daniel Boone Branch Library
   http://wcorcc.tripod.com/
	                            Technical Forum SIG - 10:00 AM
				    Multimedia SIG - 1:00 PM

6:00pm
	        STLMD
		      - St. Louis Mobile Dev

   Thu, March 24, 6:00pm . 8:30pm
   1701 Washington Ave, St Louis, MO 63103

   Two talks this month=

	    1. Introduction to Windows Phone 7.   Yep, MS is going to try to get into the market and compete against iOS, Android, WebOS, & Blackberry's OS.  And they no doubt will complicate life for us (sigh!).     And...
	    2. How to build cross-platform iOS and Android applications in Lua with Corona.

    https://sites.google.com/site/stlmobiledev/

    STL Mobile Dev is a software development group for the St. Louis area focused on mobile platforms (iPhone, Android, webOS, etc).  We meet on the 4th Thursday of the month at the downtown offices of Asynchrony Solutions, Inc.

6:30pm
	     Hiatus -
	                StC LUG
			           - St. Charles Linux Users Group

   Thu, March 24, 6:30pm . 9:30pm
   200 Ft Zumwalt Square, O'Fallon, MO 63366

   This month = "Video Capture and Editing" by Noah Lance.
	     There will NOT be a meeting this month!
	     This topic will be rescheduled.

	     Noah, our speaker, MC, and Chairman has scheduling conflicts
	     thru May.   The steering committee is considering options
	     such as moving StClug to a different day or ???.  If you have
	     an opinion on what we should do, PLEASE let us know by contacting
	     Noah Lance or other members of the steering committee.

   http://stclug.sluug.org

   Meet at JJ's Restaurant, off of Hwy I-70,
   Exit 217, Hwy K South, take right at first light signal.

                                Friday, March 25

All day
	      Document Freedom Day

   Celebrate Document Freedom Day Globally. Annually on LAST Wednesday of March.  http://documentfreedom.org/

9:30am
	       Weber Road Computer Club

   Fri, March 25, 9:30am . 11:30am
   4444 Weber Road, St. Louis, MO 63123
   Weber Road Branch Library

1:00pm
	        SCORCC-I     - Internet SIG

   Fri, March 25, 1pm . 2pm
   Tesson Ferry Library Branch,
   9920 Lin-Ferry Road, St. Louis, MO 63123
   http://www.scorcc.org/

7:30pm
		 SLSRC - St. Louis & Suburban Radio Club

Fri, March 25, 7:30pm . 9:00pm
   3015 N Ballas Rd, St. Louis, MO
   Venue: Nursing Institute building, Missouri Baptist Hospital Complex

   http://www.slsrc.org/

                               Saturday, March 26

9:00am
		  OLMOLUG
		              - Ol' Mo' Linux Users Group

			            in Old Monroe
				                 (Lincoln County
						 NorthWest St. Charles Co.)

         We will work at fixing/reloading the Linux OS on
	 TiVO DVRs.

         Sat, March 26, 9am . 4pm
         112 1st St, Old Monroe, MO 63369

	Third Saturday, sometimes fourth (see exceptions).
	Computers & Things, (corner Elm & 1st)

	http://www.olmolug.org/
	Far Northwest edge of St. Charles Co. (Actually Lincoln Co,).

2:00pm
		   GAMP     - Gateway Area Mac Programers

   Sat, March 26, 2pm . 4pm
   120 S Kirkwood Rd, St Louis, MO 63122
   http://www.gamprog.org/

   Kaldi's Coffee House

   Usually last Saturday of month

                                        St. Louis CocoaHeads

                              Monthly meeting for   Mac & iPhone Programming

2:00pm
		    MC-Clinic - Backup and Archiving

   Sat, March 26, 2pm . 4pm
   87 Brentwood Promenade Ct., Brentwood, MO 63144 (map)
   Venue: Micro Center In Store Clinic

   FREE in-store computer technology clinic,
   see http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/sign_up.html to sign up.

   Also on Sunday!

                               Sunday, March 27

2:00pm
		     MC-Clinic - Backup and Archiving

   Sun, March 27, 2pm . 4pm
   87 Brentwood Promenade Ct., Brentwood, MO 63144 (map)
   Venue: Micro Center In Store Clinic

   FREE in-store computer technology clinic,
   see http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/sign_up.html to sign up.

   Also on Saturday!

                              And ...COMING NEXT WEEK...

     Monday, March 28
	     5:30pm
		      STLDOTNET - St. Louis .NET User Group
	      6:00pm
		       stlDNNug - StL DotNetNuke User Grp
      Wednesday, March 30
               10am-3:30pm
                       New Horizons  -5 free, 1hr Microsoft classes
       Thursday, March 31
	       10:00am
		        WCORCC Workshop
                 5:30pm
                          STL-AITP
			  - Association of Information Technology Professionals
	Friday, April 1
		12:00pm
			 NCORCC
		 5:00pm
			  STL 2600 Meeting
	  Saturday, April 2
		  8:30am
			   T3 Techies Teaching Techies
		   2:00pm
			    MC-Clinic - Multi-boot and Virtual Machines
	    Sunday, April 3
		    1:00pm
			     CWElug Central West End Linux Users' Group