[ANNOUNCE] This Week's Tech Events

SLUUG Announcement List announce at sluug.org
Thu Sep 8 22:20:55 CDT 2011

Editor's Picks =

My biggest anticipation is Wed's FBI agents discussing Cyber-crime
and also Thurs Computer vision & Face Recognition.

Day by day its:

Friday   Flash Camp

Sat      MicroCenter MS-Powerpoint Tips & & Tricks

Sun      CWE lug

Mon
& Tues
         UMSL's 2 day class   Advanced UNIX Scripting

Wed      SLUUG StL UNIX general mtng
                                         FBI agents discuss Cyber-crime

next Thurs    StL lug
                 Computer Vision & Face Recognition

                        And the details...

                                  Friday, September 9

 9:00am
           Flash Camp

  When Fri, September 9, 9am – 5pm
  Where  Webster University
  The 3rd Flash Camp St. Louis! Come and learn
  the latest and greatest about the Flash Platform from locally and
  nationally recognized leaders. We have 4 confirmed FAFTA speakers
  this year, as well as some top talent from around the country. It's
  being hosted at Webster University this year, with a lot more space and
  better accommodations. The sessions are geared towards Flash, Flex, AS3,
  Mobile and UX. All the details are here: http://www.flashcampstlouis.com
  2 Tracks. 12 Speakers. Designer. Developer. Mobile. UX. Experts on the
  Adobe Flash Platform from both inside and outside Adobe. Come advance
  your Flash, Actionscript and Flex/AIR skills, meet members of the Adobe
  team and network with local companies and fellow developers. Sessions
  are geared towards designers and developers with beginning to
  intermediate level of experience with ActionScript 3, Flash, and/or
  Flex and AIR. There will be plenty of giveaways, swag, and a yummy
  lunch and warm cookies will be provided.
  9:00am Flash vs HTML5 showdown
  Speaker: Paul Trani
  10:00am Exploring a Designer and Developer Workflow
  Speaker: Aaron Pedersen Designers and Developers have long sought the
  holy grail: a seamless workflow between both disciplines that allow
  each to stretch their creative legs and at the same time, not step on
  each others toes. However, such a workflow does not yet exist and both
  disciplines have struggled to keep projects on time, under budget,
  and keep the other happy along the way. Software, such as Adobe’s
  Creative Suite, can help alleviate many of the pain points by creating
  workflows between products. However, tools can only solve part of the
  problem. Designers and developers need to work together to create their
  own workflows that provide an environment that allows for parallel
  design and development. In this session we will examine one such
  workflow called the ‘Designer and Developer Contract’. This workflow
  will focus on wireframes as the contract between both disciplines and
  explore how a single document can be used by everyone on the project
  team. Topic TBA Speaker: Danielle Cooley
  11:00am Topic Enterprise Your
  Apps Speaker: Jeff Roberts Designing for Mobile Speaker: Dee Sadler
  So you want to create mobile applications? This session will walk you
  through the ins and outs of creating graphics for mobile. Resolutions,
  tips and tricks to making the graphics as sharp as possible. Using
  Photoshop vs Fireworks, how device central can help you, wireframing,
  and much more.
  12:00pm Lunch
  1:00pm How to use Flash with Facebook
  Speaker: Ben Bishop Failing faster, failing forward: Collaborative
  design as a development activity Speaker: Christina York Rarely do
  the best ideas come first and from one person. Collaborative design
  is a great way to get a lot of good and bad ideas out there early
  and improve the quality of your software/product. This session will
  demonstrate techniques for two types of collaborative design: design
  studios with team members and stakeholders and participatory design
  activities with end users.
  2:00pm Where We've Been, Where We're Going -
  Look at the past 5 years of the design industry and where it might be
  going in the next 5 Speaker: Brad Nunnally Over the past five years,
  the world of user experience and design has changed greatly. We've
  been able to adapt and grow as we faced down many challenges in the
  ever changing world of technology. But, are we ready for the next
  five years? If not, what can we do as design professionals to prepare
  ourselves for the "next big thing" that will rock the technological
  world. Come hear how we can use what we've learned to help prepare
  for the future, and get a glimpse at some of the technologies that
  we might be designing for before you know it. Building Flex Apps for
  Mobile - iOS and Android Speaker: Jason Hanson You can have it all. Use
  your existing knowledge of Flash, Flex, and ActionScript to build
  mobile apps. Build once and deploy for iOS, Android, and Blackberry
  tablets. The recent and exciting updates to the Adobe AIR runtime and
  the new tooling in Flash Builder 4.5.x provide the tools you need to
  build your app and deliver it via the app markets for Android, iOS,
  and Blackberry tablet. Yes, build in Flash and deploy to an iPhone &
  iPad app you can sell in the market. We will walk through what you need
  to get started building your own apps. I will show how to deploy to
  multiple platforms. I will also go over a sample starter projects that
  Abobe has provided, that you can use as a starting point so you can hit
  the ground running writing good code that will scale well.
  3:00pm Rage against the Framework Speaker: David Ortinau We love the Flash platform
  for rapidly building awesome experiences. As our projects become more
  complex we look to frameworks like Flex for a boost with rich components
  and data support. The Flex framework is extremely powerful and often
  frustrating. Implementing expressive UX can seem near impossible at
  these times, but we need not settle for lesser UX. In this session we'll
  talk briefly about the principles of Interaction Design models, and then
  take a practical look at common leverage points where we can inject
  our interactions to create better experiences. Adobe Edge for flash
  designers Speaker: Jacob Heberlie
  4:00pm Topic TBA Speaker: Ben Stucki

  Keywords flashcamp mobile UX AS3 Flex Flash Flash Platform more

  10:00am
   SCORCC-DTP Desktop Publishing

                             Saturday, September 10

8:30am
          Hiatus - T3 Techies Teaching Techies
12:00pm
    	 DBUG - Data Bytes Users Group

	 WhenSat, September 10, 12pm – 3pm
	 Where12863 Willowyk Drive, St. Louis, MO
	 DescriptionSee http://dbug-stl.tripod.com/Home.htm

	 Thornhill Branch Library,
         12863 Willowyk Drive (off Fee Fee Road), St. Louis, MO
2:00pm
	     MC-Clinic - MS Powerpoint Tips & Tricks

	  WhenSat, September 10, 2pm – 3pm
	  Where87 Brentwood Promenade Ct., Brentwood, MO 63144
	  DescriptionVenue: Micro Center In Store Clinic FREE
          in-store computer technology clinic,
          see http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/sign_up.html to sign up.
6:00pm
	      ASEMO - Astronomical Society of Eastern Missouri

	   WhenSat, September 10, 6pm – 10pm
	   DescriptionSee http://asemonline.org/ for current information.

	   * Regular General Meeting*

	                       Sunday, September 11

All day
         	    Patriot Day

1:00pm
        		 CWElug Central West End Linux Users' Group

		 WhenSun, September 11, 1pm – 4pm
		 Where1610 S. Big Bend Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63117 (map)
		 DescriptionVenue: Scott's Office

		 http://groups.google.com/group/cwelug/
		 (which may not actually be current).
2:00pm
		         MC-Clinic - MS Powerpoint Tips & Tricks

		  WhenSun, September 11, 2pm – 3pm
		  Where87 Brentwood Promenade Ct., Brentwood, MO 63144 (map)
		  DescriptionVenue: Micro Center In Store Clinic FREE
                  in-store computer technology clinic,
                  http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/sign_up.html

                          And an overview of next week...

		                   Monday, September 12

8:30am
        		   UMSL - Advanced UNIX: Script Files - Day 1

           WhenMon, September 12, 8:30am – 4:00pm
		   Where12837 Flushing Meadows Dr., St. Louis, MO 63131
		   Description
		   http://www.cetc.umsl.edu/catalog/unix.html Linux
		   was developed as a version of UNIX, for use on
		   personal computers. Its syntax, kernel compilation,
		   and environment are very similar to other versions of
		   UNIX. Students interested in Linux can take the UNIX
		   series of classes to learn the basics of the operating
		   system. Advanced UNIX: Script Files (Prerequisite:
		   Intermediate Commands of UNIX/Linux or equivalent
		   experience.) This course covers the design and use
		   of UNIX script files for custom applications. Topics
		   include the consideration of the Bourne shell and
		   C shell as programming languages, user-defined
		   variables (including arrays), numeric variables,
		   operators, assignment statements, and input/output
		   operations. Learn the standard programming concepts,
		   such as conditional statements, loop statements, and
		   recursion, in the context of shell programming. Sample
		   programs will be discussed to demonstrate techniques
		   of using UNIX commands. Fee: $399 Two-Day Class
		   Meets 8:30am-4:00pm (13 hours)
		   1:00pm
		    SCORCC-GM - General Meeting
			6:00pm
			 BDPA - Black Data Processing Associates
			 6:30pm
			  stlRUBY - STL Ruby Users' Grp
			  7:00pm
			   MWG - MidWest Geeks
			   7:00pm
			    stlGD - StL Game Developers

                           Tuesday, September 13

				All day
				 SecureWorld Expo
				 All day
				  Patch Tuesday
				  8:30am
				   UMSL - Advanced UNIX: Script Files - Day 2
				   8:30am
				     STLSUG - St. Louis Sharepoint Users Group
					 1:00pm
					  STLSSUG -St. Louis SQL Server User Group
					  5:30pm
					   GAMUG - Gateway Area MacIntosh Users Group
					   6:00pm
					    CCSL - Computer Consultants of St. Louis
						7:00pm
						 LUCI-NB - Linux Users Central Illinois (Newbie Mtg)
						 7:30pm
						  ARCH - Arch Reactor

						  Wednesday, September 14

						  All day
						   SecureWorld Expo
						   8:00am
						    St. Louis ACT! Users Group
							1:00pm
							 SCORCC-G Geneology SIG
							 6:00pm
							  JCMS - Joomla CMS
							  6:30pm
							   SLUUG St. Louis Unix Users Group

							   Thursday, September 15

							   7:30am
							    IT Advancement Council
								1:00pm
								 WCORCC - General Mtg
								 6:00pm
								  stlMD - St. Louis Mobile Dev
								  6:30pm
								   stlLUG -Linux Users' Grp
								                         "Computer Vision with OpenCV"
								   6:30pm
								    STLJS - Saint Louis JavaScript Meetup
									7:00pm
									 PHP - St Louis PHP Users Group
									 7:30pm
									  SLRCFA - St. Louis Radio Control Flying Assoc.
									  7:30pm
									   STL Wordpress Users Group

								Friday, September 16

									   All day