[ANNOUNCE] STL Linux Users Group for Seniors ~ 20 January 2017

SLUUG Announcement List announce at sluug.org
Fri Jan 20 07:00:04 CST 2017

Today, Friday 1:00PM to 3:30PM at Prairie Commons Library Branch.

> sLUGs ~ STL Linux Users Group for Seniors
> http://slugs.sluug.org/

We expect a lot of Linux Workshop activity today.  Age will not
preclude attendance.  We welcome non-seniors and only request
respect and tolerance between young and old.

One newcomer requested that I install LinuxMint 18.1 MATE 64bit
on a older slow running HP-G61 PC laptop.  That had been done after
running SPINRITE to eliminate an unrecoverable hard disc sector.
Today, my primary goal is a walk through talk showing various
usability tweaks that have been done.

One newcomer requested help with upgrading to version 18.1 of the
LinuxMint 18 installed on a new laptop by Micro Center staff.
There may be video card driver issues (or not).

One newcomer requested help with installing Linux on a new laptop
burdened with Microsoft Windows 10 and the Unified Extensible
Firmware Interface (UEFI) barriers causing it to fail dual booting.
Numerous partitions are involved using a GUID partition table (GPT)
file system.  A GPT drive may have up to 128 partitions, compared
to the 4 partition limit of legacy BIOS and MBR systems.  Not that
familiar and possibly tricky.

I don't know if all three of those folks will show up; but, some
help from experienced and seasoned Linux users would be welcome
to provide one-on-one assistance.

Also, it may be helpful to set up multiple tables early on.

--
--
-- stan r.